Sunday, April 22, 2012

Portobello with Arugula and Blue Cheese



I make this when I am sick and tired of the usual sides of veggies and I want something more grown-up.  It can also be used as the main course of a vegetarian dish and it hardly takes any time to make.  
Arugula is very easy to grow and I should know because I manage to kill at least half of the things I plant but when I planted arugula in a large planter on my deck it grew all summer and provided several salads for my family of five.  Also, I am a total cheese freak so it is one thing I will always splurge on, a good cheese really makes a difference and I suggest buying a better cheese for this recipe especially because there are only a few ingredients.  I usually use blue cheese or Gorgonzola but it is just as good with goat cheese.  Since they are all strong tasting cheeses you don't need as much which is a big calorie saver.  These can also be done on the grill during BBQ weather.

INGREDIENTS

Organic large portobello mushrooms (one per person is enough)

Roasted peppers, enough for 3 thin slices a mushroom (I try to make my own but jarred is fine when you don't have time - and if you can find organic at a price that won't break you, even better)

Organic arugula, about a quarter cup each mushroom

Blue cheese, crumbled - about a tablespoon per mushroom 

Olive oil


Heat a pan with a coating of olive oil on the bottom.  Clean the mushrooms and remove stems and ribbing, place in the pan stem side down for about 3 minutes.  Turn over and layer roasted peppers, arugula and then blue cheese on top.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover pan just until cheese melts.

That's it, the whole thing should take about ten minutes total.  
Another option is to use the baby portobellos and serve these as appetizers.
I have also made them without the roasted peppers and they are just as good and they are soooooooo good for you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment