Saturday, March 16, 2013

One Dish Chicken Veggie Quinoa Deliciousness



This is probably the most nutrient dense dish I have come up with.  It has vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, fiber, calcium, protein, iron, the list goes on.  It is so packed with a huge variety of vitamins and minerals that I don't think I can top it.  It has quinoa in it - an ancient grain (I love saying ancient grain and I always imagine some eerie Druid-type music playing in my head when I say it).  And of course it is totally delicious.  Even my picky eater eats this.  :)
As usual I am using all organic ingredients including the Chia seeds which are ridiculously expensive but go a long way and any way I can add something good into my family's food I will do it.  It can also easily be made vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for chicken broth and chick peas or any bean for the chicken.
Here it is...


INGREDIENTS

1 lb chicken breasts, chopped into chunks equally approx a 1 inch cube
1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
1 cup sliced white mushrooms
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach (frozen is fine but use less)
1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
1/2 cup kalamata olives chopped in half
3 cloves garlic chopped
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 tablespoon Chia seeds
3 tablespoons butter
2 1/4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup Sauvignon Blanc
1/2 cup grated cheese
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a pan with olive oil and toss in garlic and onions for about 1 minute then add in chicken and salt and pepper to taste.

While that is happening bring rinsed quinoa and 2 cups chicken broth to a boil with salt and pepper to taste.  Once it comes to a boil cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

You're doing 2 things at once here so while quinoa is cooking check the chicken and brown lightly on all sides.

When the chicken is almost done add in 1/4 cup wine, 1/4 cup chicken broth and 2 tablespoons of butter.  (A little fat once in a while never hurt anyone but a complete lack of healthy nutrients has - besides I read your body needs some fat to absorb vitamins A and K) Add in tomatoes, spinach and mushrooms - cover and cook on low heat. 

Don't forget to keep your eye on the quinoa, when that is almost done add in 1 tablespoon of butter.  It should finish up a couple minutes before the chicken and veggies.

Now, you can keep them separate if you want but I throw it all together.  So, if there is a lot of liquid left in the chicken and veg pan drain some of it out.  Toss in the quinoa and cook together for about 3 minutes uncovered.

At the end add in the grated cheese, olives and chia seeds and mix together.  Serve and enjoy.  

This dish is so healthy that after it's over you should probably feel great about yourself because you have done something wonderful for your family and you.  So go and make yourself a dirty Bombay Sapphire martini with blue cheese stuffed olives to celebrate.  That's how I am ending my day :)

Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment