Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chick Pea Salad Sandwich

I am a big fan of chick peas, I love hummus, I love them thrown in with pasta, I put them in my chili, I use them a lot.  I used to be a vegetarian and I came up with this recipe as an alternative to chicken salad, which is one of my favorite sandwiches.  I am contemplating going vegetarian again so I have been pulling out all my old veg recipes.  So, in honor of meatless Mondays, I present to you my chick pea salad sandwich :)





INGREDIENTS

1 cup chick peas (after being soaked for a day and cooked for an hour and cooled)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 chopped celery stalk
1 tablespoons mayo 
1 teaspoon white vinegar
salt and pepper

Put the chick peas in a bowl and smush them like you would mashed potatoes.  They don't have to be complete mush, just half mush ;)

Then combine all other ingredients, stir and put in the fridge overnight or for at least a couple hours to let the flavors combine.

Serve on a nice baguette or on whole grain bread with your favorite green - today I used baby kale.  

You can also make this the same way without smushing the chick peas and serve it as a side salad with greens.  Enjoy and be healthy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment